Festive Eid Cookies for a festive Eid!

August 31, 2017



Welcome to another food-related blog post! This one will be a short one, I promise!

To those of you who are reading this and don't know about Eid-oh who am I kidding, I only have one reader (thanks Mum!) But just in case you don't know, Eid al-Adha, is a significant celebration in the Muslim Calendar. And I think sometimes, that because I live in Sydney and I don't see a goat being sacrificed in my front lawn, the level of my festivity isn't as high as those in other countries who do. So instead, for a Sydney-sider, the day is usually seen as an opportunity to get together with your loved ones and have a feast. (Hey mum, if you're still reading this, thanks for the solid Eid preps.) 



However this year I told myself, I am going to bring the festivity back in the best way I know how: Baking. Winnie the Pooh says 'How can one be uncheered with a balloon.' I ask, 'How can one be uncheered with cookies?' This is a real question guys.



As well as the fact Christmas cookies are thing. So I thought to myself, I want to make Eid cookies a thing. So that's exactly what I did. (I made cookies, if you are unable to see where this is going.) The recipe will be shared down below! But first let's just appreciate the process: 









You can decorate your Eid cookies however you please, I went for some green fondant and for the letters, I used the Wiltshire letter press set. I got mine from Big W in their 30% off cookware sale. Winning! Personally, I think they look adorable and are the perfect addition to your Eid dessert spread. 

What do you guys think? Should I share more of my new baking ventures? (And by new, I mean really new. As in, let's learn how to make yummy things together.) Let me know.

Eid Mubarak to those celebrating, may you have an amazing day filled with family, food and reflection! 


Recipe:
The Dough:
3/4 cup (150g) room-temperature unsalted butter.
3/4 cup granulated sugar.
1 egg 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract. You can use essence if that is what you have in your pantry.
2 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. I actually used the Lighthouse biscuit flour just because I feel like it works better with cookies but it is honestly personal preference.

Method: 
Start off by beating the butter in a mixer until creamy, then add your sugar until the mixture is fluffy.

Next, add the egg and the vanilla essence. Mix until it is almost all combined.

Whisk the flour and baking soda together and then add it to the mixture. Beat it until it is combined. If it looks a little crummy and not quite like dough, don't worry. Once you start kneading it, it will all come together just fine.

Divide the dough into two equal portions. Wrap them in some glad wrap and let the dough chill for about an hour. Don't even try to skip this step. 

Once it is chilled and ready to be rolled, preheat your oven to 175°C.  Roll out the dough and then it is up to you how you wish to cut them and decorate. I used a silicone heart-shape cutter, but I have also used an upside down round mug in the past! 

And then of course, place them on your baking tray and let them bake for around 8-10 mins or until lightly browning on top. Done! Allow them to cool and then decorate as you please.


**I adapted this recipe from the original which you can find here. The original calls for almond extract, which I didn't include, as well as the addition of a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Personally, in my last batch of cookies I wasn't a fan of the salty and sweet flavour combination. It is fascinating how such a small amount can impact the taste so significantly. But again, it is personal preference. So add it if you like a bit of a mix of flavours. Either way, it is one of the best sugar cookie recipes I have come across and I am so glad I found this recipe and I knew I had to use it for my Eid cookies!




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. You actually do have another loyal reader whose read all (3) of your blogs. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Popular Posts

Flickr Images